This set of 5 reusable masks are all hand-sewn by women from marginalised communities using recycled materials, and 10% of the sales from each mask goes to the migrant workers welfare in Singapore. Breathable, sustainable, and beautiful.
1. "Brown leaves" silk mask: This silk mask is dyed with "Catechu" (a hard, brown substance obtained from an Asian acacia) using the Japanese "Shibori" technique which dates back to the 8th century and involves tying, folding, bunching or twisting fabric before finally dipping it into a natural dye.
2. "Modern Peranakan Print" silk mask: This silk mask features a hand block print. The beautiful art of block printing employs wooden or metal blocks to print designs and patterns on fabric, entirely by hand. What makes block printing unique is that the design has to be created by the artist before the printing begins. It is carved onto the block by hand. The carved block is then dipped into the dye.
3. "Indigo Garden" silk mask: This silk mask features a hand block print and indigo-dyed. Considered the king of blues, indigo comes from an organic dye derived from Indigofera plants. Indigo dyeing is one of the oldest (thousands of years!) dyeing technique.
4. "Flora" cotton mask: This cotton mask features a delicate floral hand block print.
5. "Indigo leaves" cotton mask: This cotton mask features an indigo-dyed "shibori" that is stitched on soft cotton/muslin.
All masks have a soft cotton/muslin lining, adjustable elastics and nose wires. Hand wash in cold water with mild shampoo or soap
ABOUT THE DESIGNER
La Tierra is a social enterprise that aims to connect people to the beauty of the natural environment by working exclusively with ethical and sustainable processes. To reduce waste of resources and to implement circularity, the founder and lead designer, Lulu, extracts natural dyes from waste like onion skin, pomegranate skin, indigo leaves, lac, turmeric. She also uses hand-weaving and hand-printing to reduce carbon footprint. Sticking to these ancient techniques is very labour intensive, but it preserves old-age know-how, and it helps women artisans from marginalized families to have meaningful employment and gain independence.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY
Ships from Singapore Free worldwide delivery
RETURNS & EXCHANGES
Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device